Several weeks ago, at the beginning of the Home series. I mentioned that I was going to take you on journey, to turn the place where you live into a home that you love. If you have been following along since the beginning? You’ll now be clearer about your design style and why taking the time to unclutter your home is a good thing. Now it’s time to put the knowledge you have uncovered into practice and start to turn your residence into a home. Putting some thought and effort into where you reside, provides that sense of belonging that helps transform your house into the home you love. Are you up for the challenge?
This week it’s all about your homes entrance way. Which is the area right outside your front door and the space directly behind your front door. The entrance way to your home provides visitors with their first impressions of those that reside there. It is also the welcoming home mat for those that live there. It is the hardest working area of your home. But the most forgotten space, that often receives very little or no care and attention. Does your entrance way welcome you home and provide a great first impression to those that visit your home?
It’s time to cast a critical eye over this area of your home and take a photograph of this space. So that you see this space as it really is. Then, ask yourself the following questions to give you a starting point for reinventing your entrance way.
- What does this area say about you?
- Does this area fit with your newly developed design style?
- Does this space meet the requirements you expect of it?
- If you have your own street frontage, is there an obvious and direct access way to your front door?
- Is the entrance way in front of your door defined?
- When you open your front door, is this defined by a hallway or does it enter straight into a room?
- Is the space directly in front of your door protected by the weather?
- Is your front door weather tight?
- Does your front door have adequate security measures?
Loaded up with all this information it’s now time to get stuck in and give this space some tender loving care. So that it makes you sparkle, each time you depart from or arrive at your home.
- Remove everything from the space that you can, and give the area a good clean.
- Sort through all items that are currently in this space, removing any clutter along the way.
- If you don’t have a clear picture in your mind of how you would like this space to look. Spend some time in your favourite interiors stores, in magazines or on Pinterest getting some inspiration.
- Now it’s time to address any alarm bells that were set off, when answering the questions above. When doing this remember that it’s not about just throwing money at the project. It’s about thinking outside the square. Seeing what can be re-purposed from the things that was already there, or from somewhere else in your home?
- Once you have done all you can with what you have already have, it’s time to compile a wish list of things you would love to acquire when the time and budget allows.
- Take a photo of your newly transformed entrance way and compare it to what was there previously.
- Celebrate your achievements.
- Share the before and after photos on the Unclutter Your Universe Facebook and Instagram pages or add your comments in the section below.
Next week it’s all about the dining room. If there is anything you would like me to discuss, drop me a line at [email protected]