In Auckland, where the Unclutter Your Universe home is located, there is a definite feeling of spring in the air. The blossoms are blooming, the temperatures are rising and the light is staying around a lot longer into the early evening. I’m not sure what the statistics are showing, but I think we have had a lot more rain this winter. Those grey dark dreary days do my head in. I would much prefer it to be a bit cooler and have wonderful clear sunny days. When living in Dunedin many years ago, I loved those clear crisp days. Being able to rug up in lots of layers and venture out into the sunshine is good for the soul. Those continual grey drizzly overcast skies that seemed to have hung over Auckland for the last few months, really do my head in.
In readiness for those not too far away balmy summer days of relaxing in the sunshine. It’s time to embrace that wonderful feeling of spring, get outside and give some love to your outdoor spaces. Some planning and hard graft now, will enable you to reap the rewards when summer is in full swing. The size and location of your outdoor space will determine what can be achieved out there but I’m sure with a bit of imagination and hard graft, you can have a space that you love.
It’s time to take the rose tinted glasses off, cast a critical eye over your outdoor space and see it how it really is. By taking a photograph of this space, you will be able to see it how others do and not how you think it looks. Then, take some time to ask yourself the following questions. Which, I hope will provide you with some great ideas to get you started.
- How much outdoor space do you have?
- What is this space currently used for?
- Is there easy indoor/outdoor flow & a seamless design style?
- Do you have a vision for this space?
- Is this space suitable for day & evening?
- If you have outdoor space in front of your property, what does this space say about the people that live there?
- Is there a private space where you can sit & relax?
- If you have outdoor space that stretches from the curb to your front door, what does this space say about those that live there?
- How much time is required to keep this space well maintained?
- Does this space offer both sunlight & shade?
TIME FOR ACTION:
- Now, it’s time to get stuck in and give this space some tender loving care, turning it into a space that you love & will spend lots of time in.
- Tackling one area at a time: Clear everything out of the space, sorting into piles of things in the are in excellent condition & you want to keep, items for the rubbish, things to donate, Items to sell & things that need repaired.
- Give this space a thorough clean.
- If you are struggling to come up with a vision for this space, spend some time looking through interiors magazines or browsing Pinterest, where I have pinned some pics that may appeal to you.
- Map out a plan of your outdoor spaces, allocating spaces for the different things you want to do there.
- When you are happy with the layout. It’s time to dress this space using items that you already had outside or have been re-purposed from another area of your home.
- Once you have done all that you can with what you already have, it’s time to compile a wish list of things you would love to acquire when the time and budget allows.
- Take a photo of your spaces and compare the before and after pics.
- Celebrate your achievements.
- Share the before and after photos on the Unclutter Your Universe Facebook and Instagram pages, and include your comments in the section below.
If you have a question that you would like answered or topic suggestions for blog posts. Drop me a line at [email protected]