When the temperatures are dropping outside and the nights are dark for longer, it’s time to burrow deeper into our homes. Spending lengthy periods hibernating in our bedrooms, which are the inner sanctum of our homes. Regardless of the weather conditions outside or being an adult or child. Our bedroom is the one place in the house where we should be able to shut ourselves away from the world for a while. Nurture our souls, recharge the batteries and be ready to be social beings again.
The main or master bedroom is usually the biggest bedroom in the house, has the biggest bed and traditionally a space reserved for the parents of the home. In the last fifteen to twenty years the master bedroom has evolved into a luxury retreat, with ensuite, walk in wardrobe and lounge area. Providing the occupants of this room an exclusive hideaway from other members of the household. Gone are the days when it was deemed necessary to purchase a complete bedroom suite. Have everything matchy matchy on either side of the bed, with the bed linen and other furnishing fabrics in the same print and colour. It’s more about providing a soothing environment that encompasses the combined style of its occupants. This luxurious space needs to be about nurturing the sole and inviting sound quality sleep. Which can be achieved with soft lighting, scented candles and natural oil vaporisers. Rather than housing electronic equipment which produces electromagnetic energy that will interfere with your natural sleep patterns.
It’s time to cast a critical eye over the master bedroom and take a photograph of this space. This will help you see the space as it really is. Then, take some time to ask yourself the following questions, which hopefully will give you a great starting point for the master bedroom’s revitalisation.
- Does the décor match the style of the room’s occupants? (There may be a need to compromise if sharing this space)
- Is there good ventilation & heating in this room?
- Is your mattress and base of excellent quality & condition that provides a restful sleep?
- Are there unnecessary electronic gadgets in this room?
- Is there a full length mirror to provide a complete outfit view?
- Are there fitted carpet or rugs at the bedside, so you don’t have to place your warm feet straight onto a cold floor?
- Are your bedside tables the same height as your mattress, to offer easy access to them?
- Is there the capacity to block out noise and light to provide optimum sleeping conditions?
- Do you have comfortable seating in this room for relaxation or to aid dressing?
- Is your bed linen of excellent quality & suitable for the current season?
- Do you have easy to access storage for your decorative pillows when dressing or preparing your bed for sleep?
- Is there both mood and task lighting in this space?
TIME FOR ACTION:
Now, it’s time to get stuck in and give this space some tender loving care and add a sense of luxurious retreat to this space.
- Remove everything from the space that you can, and give the area a thorough clean.
- Sort through everything that was emptied out of this space. Only keeping the things that you regularly use and are in good working order.
- If you have not previously tackled a complete wardrobe unclutter, I suggest you leave this for a separate mission.
- If you don’t have a clear picture in your mind of how you would like this space to look. Spend some time in your favourite interiors stores, in magazines or on Pinterest getting some inspiration.
- Now it’s time to address any alarm bells that were set off, when answering the above questions. Remember that it’s not just about throwing money at the project. It’s about thinking outside the square. Seeing what can be re-purposed from the things you already have.
- Being the largest item in the room, it is vital that the bed is positioned first to ensure that there is ample space to move around the room.
- Once you have done all you can with what you already have. It’s time to compile a wish list of things you would love to acquire when the time and budget allows.
- Take a photo of your newly transformed bedroom and compare the before and after pics.
- Celebrate your achievements.
- Share the before and after photos on the Unclutter Your Universe Facebook and Instagram pages or add your comments in the section below.
Next week it’s all about the other bedrooms in your home. If there is anything about the master bedroom that you would like me to discuss. Drop me a line at [email protected]