What type of clothes shopper are you? Do you write a shopping list and only veer off course when you find a special gem that you know will work with the rest of the items in your wardrobe? Or do you shop randomly without planning your purchases and can never go past the sales rack without making a purchase?
The fact that your local mall and shopping precincts are crowded with shoppers most of the time, clearly shows that most of us fit into the latter category.
WHY ARE WE DRIVEN TO CLOTHES SHOP?
- Shopping makes you feel good through the release of dopamine, which is the brain’s reward hormone. If you are not getting your fix of feel-good hormones in other areas of your life, it’s not surprising that you are driven to shop often.
- Shopping fills the void when other areas of your life are not fulfilling your needs.
- You purchase things you don’t need because you have a fear of missing out on being part of the latest trends.
- If your shopping bias is set to always getting a bargain. You are blinded by that and the fact that you don’t need the item, it’s not your style or is the wrong size, will not register in your brain.
How many of those do you identify with?
“These are the reasons why you end up with wardrobe full of clothes that you don’t wear”
HOW CAN I BREAK THE CYCLE?
- Start with a clean slate by uncluttering your wardrobe. You can read my step by step guide to do this here.
- Become familiar with what is in your wardrobe. Knowing what you have, will reduce the chance of buying something the same as what you already own. Smart Closet is the perfect tool to help you do this.
- Know your own style and be confident to wear what you like, rather than purchasing the latest trend. A guide to finding your personal style can be found here.
- Learn to create lots of different outfits by shopping your own wardrobe. I highly recommend the Smart Closet app for doing this, which you can read all about here.
- Time spent playing in your wardrobe lets you know what items you need to extend the wear of the items you already have. Place these items on your shopping list.
- Spend some time in the shops trying on lots of items, without purchasing anything and take pics of your successful try on’s. You will be amazed at how many of these items you can recreate from items that you already own. When doing this, it becomes apparent that a crucial item is missing, place it on your shopping list.
Do you have the necessary types of clothes in your wardrobe to match your day to day activities? If not, add those items to your shopping list.
The items on your shopping list are where I suggest you focus your spend on. I’m not saying that you need to stick rigidly to this list, now that would be way too boring. What I am saying is, stop and think before you purchase. Only purchase something that is not on your list, if you are sure it will extend the wear of the items you already own.
Taking the time to prepare a shopping list is a total waste of time unless you keep it with you and that’s why I highly recommend you keep this list on your phone. Let’s face how often do you leave the house without your phone, compared to taking your bag, which is the other obvious place to keep your shopping list?
What items need to be on your clothes shopping list?